We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The "Navaho" blackberry belongs to the Rosaceae family and the Raspberry family. The variety was bred by specialists from the University of Arkansas and is quite popular not only in America, but also among Russian gardeners thanks to a set of excellent quality characteristics.
Description and characteristics of the variety
Blackberry variety "Navajo" forms short-conical berries, fromthe average mass of which is 4.5-7 g. The standard yield per shoot of a four-year bush can exceed 450 berries. Dark blue berries have excellent taste and contain medium-sized seeds.
"Navaho" forms erect and strong enough shoots, the height of which often exceeds one and a half meters. Experienced gardeners practice a special method of trimming both the main and lateral shoots, which reduces production costs and contributes to an increase in the size of berries. The shoots do not have spikes, which facilitates the manual harvesting.
Blackberries are fully ripened in August or early September. The indicators of the harvestability of the harvest are quite decent. Taste characteristics and marketability of berries are perfectly preserved for five days.
This berry culture is unpretentious and does not need constant attention, as well as high agricultural technology. A feature of the variety is resistance to low temperature conditions and the most common diseases.
Blackberry: growing and care
Plants should be planted with a distance of 1.2-1.4 m. A compact planting of seedlings is allowed. Care for the blackberry variety "Navajo" should be the same as when growing any straight-growing species of berry culture.
- Young shoots at the beginning of summer can and should be nipped (cut) when they reach a height of 1 m, and side branches should also be shortened. This stimulates lateral branching, increases the volume of the bush. Such a standard agricultural technique should be applied selectively in order to avoid thickening: a lot of tops - we do not cut, we do not stimulate, a little - we shorten and wait. The same should apply to rationing the number of shoots per bush.
- For tying it is necessary to use T-shaped trellises with a height of about two meters.
- If a non-tapered method of growing is used, then it is required to trim the main shoot at the level of lateral branching.
- Conducting timely and competent pruning helps to reduce the volume of green mass, and also has a positive effect on berry formation.
- A good result is given by rationing according to a standard industrial scheme, assuming the number of shoots is not more than seven per productive berry bush.
- For the winter period, all the seedling shoots should be cut off, and new ones removed from the trellis and neatly laid, after which the bushes are insulated with covering material.
In the central zone of Russia, blackberries can be planted not only in spring, but also in summer. However, preference should still be given to early spring planting, which will avoid freezing of the berry shrub.
As a rule, blackberries are planted in a standard ordinary way. It is best to place the plants along the border of the infield, stepping back from the fence or fence about one and a half meters. A couple of weeks before planting, it is necessary to prepare landing pits measuring 40 x 40 x 40 cm. A nutrient soil mixture is necessarily laid at the bottom, which allows providing planted berry bushes with nutrition necessary for full growth and development.
Reviews and recommendations of gardeners
Blackberry of American selection called "Navajo" is deservedly a very popular variety in home gardening. Stable and high productivity is guaranteed even with inadequate care.
How to plant a blackberry
According to the originator, the winter hardiness of Navajo blackberry bushes reaches -20 ° C, so it is advisable to provide them with shelter in case of severe frost. According to gardeners, the average plant yield when creating optimal soil and climatic conditions is 8.5–9 t / ha.