We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Grivun pigeons were bred by Russian breeders in Perm. Today it is one of the most common varieties and is in great demand among professional breeders. The mane are classified as high-flying pigeons, and they got their name due to their unusual colors. When breeding, keeping, purchasing birds, it is important to pay attention to the features characteristic of this breed.
History of the breed
This variety of pigeons originates in 1930, was bred in the Perm Territory by crossing representatives of different pigeon breeds. Birds obtained as a result of breeding work were distinguished by strong immunity, endurance, powerful body and the ability to fly at very high altitudes.
The founder of the breed is M.E.Subbotin, who at the time of the selection worked as a cook, and was engaged in breeding birds as a hobby. From here came another name for the breed - cook pigeons. According to some sources, England is considered the birthplace of hryvnias.
Description, characteristics and varieties
The appearance of the Permian hryvnia has the following characteristics:
- rounded head;
- large, slightly protruding eyes with a brown iris;
- beak of medium size, straight;
- the wax is not expressed;
- the body is elongated (up to 35-37 cm);
- powerful, wide sternum, raised upward;
- a strong neck that flows smoothly into the chest;
- medium sized wings with 12 tail feathers;
- tight tail;
- the body is set rather low;
- bare legs, light pink;
- muscles are developed;
- plumage dense and tough;
- the color is white, while on the back of the head there should be a spot that contrasts with the main color, which is the main feature of the breed.
There are several types of hryvnias:
- Southern, whose homeland is the city of Nikolaev in Ukraine. The difference from the Perm is in size. Variation in color is also allowed - from bright and rich yellow to cherry.
- Kirovskie. The plumage of these birds varies considerably. There are also non-standard combinations - red plumage and a white spot on the nape. Completely black pigeons are also allowed.
In addition to these, Kazan, Yaroslavl, Bugulma hryvnias are also distinguished. These birds do not have any special distinctive features.
Advantages and disadvantages of hryvny pigeons
The main characteristic that favorably distinguishes the hryvnia from other breeds of pigeons is its flying qualities. Birds rise high and fast and soar at great heights. Also, the advantages include:
- strong immunity;
- high brood qualities;
- ease of breeding;
- can hatch other people's eggs.
In hryvnias, there are deviations from the norm, which are considered acceptable or categorically unacceptable shortcomings. In the latter case, the bird must be discarded.
Permissible deviations from the standard include:
- Dark claws.
- The presence of plumage on the legs.
- Short or thick beak.
- Uneven feather color.
- Horizontal rack.
- Wide eyelids.
Critical deviations are:
- Black beak.
- Sunken sternum.
- Light iris.
- Invalid feather color.
- Wide tail, not closed at the end.
- Short or tapering wings and wings that do not close.
- Disproportionate physique.
Even if the breed fully complies with the standard, this does not mean that it has no faults. The features that negatively characterize the hryvnia include:
- pugnacious character;
- the need for special care;
- inability to tolerate temperature changes;
- increased meteosensitivity.
Maintenance, care and nutrition
The main thing is proper feeding, that is, balanced, containing vitamins and minerals. It is prohibited:
- give heavy food;
They feed the birds only after the flight.
The ration of hryvnias includes the following products:
- cereals (millet, wheat, barley);
- peas, corn, oats;
- carrots, cabbage (sometimes given instead of grains).
A portion for each individual does not exceed 30 grams. In the evening, the grivuns are given a heavier food, which includes barley, oats without husks, corn, and lentils. Feed chalk or crushed eggshells are poured into a separate container. Pebbles (2 millimeters in diameter) are also added to the feed so that the bird's stomach can cope with the processing of food.
Pigeons are kept in spacious, ventilated areas. At the same time, dampness and drafts are not allowed. Wide shelves are used as perches, which are specially attached to the walls. The dovecote must be kept clean.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
Grivunov are trained in flight skills, conduct trainings. This should be done in the morning. Walking should not be abused - birds should lead a sedentary lifestyle.
Crossbreeding of pure-bred individuals with defective ones is not allowed. As a result of such unions, offspring are born that do not meet the standard, and most importantly, individuals lose their unique flying skills.
The breed is susceptible to pathologies such as:
In order to prevent diseases, vaccinations are carried out, as well as complete disinfection of the dovecote once a season. The main feature of the Permian hryvnia is the ability to soar high and for a long time in the air, as well as an unusual contrasting color of feathers. It is not difficult to recognize birds among other pigeons.